Wednesday, April 14, 2010

fish vs fishing

I read a short ariticle in Tech&Learning online magazine this morning, titled as Students as Meaningful Contributors by Silvia Rosenthal Tolisano. Here is one paragraph that I want to highlight for its truthness.

The "why do we have to learn this" comment has bothered me for years. Several
years ago I realized it is a very good question and if I can't answer it with a better response than "you may use this some day" then I better get out of the teaching business. It came to me that we really do NOT remember most of what we are taught. So what is the purpose. I had to change my philosophy. I realized my focus should not be the content, but instead training the brain to think in different ways using the content of my classes. I have come to find the recent brain research agrees with me in that the brain develops different ways of thinking when we encourage it to do so. We as teachers need to let go of the "content focus" and focus on training the brain to think differently. If we arm our students with a brain that can think many different ways we have done our jobs.


Can't agree more than that...

No comments: