Monday, November 28, 2005

Sense and Sensibility

Directed by Ann Lee and also won golden global winner for best picture, best screenplay in 1995.

First I was surprised by Emma Thompson's screenplay. She's marvelous. Her screenplay does remain faithful to the events and spirit of the book; also add more light humor than the original text, which makes, without doubt, the movie is attractive to the audience. And her performance as the eldest girl Elinor in the family is also finely-nuanced performances. Of course, I like Hugh Grant the most regarding to the performance in the play. I kind of understand Elinor's feeling and behavior when Father died as a woman who must conceal a broken heart beneath a proper, civilized exterior. But when I saw her cried when her sister Marianne was in dangerous situation, saying "please, try," when I saw her couldn't help crying in front of Edward when he told him that he's free to ask for the love from her, I was so happy for her to express herself so emotionally and truthfully at last. Emma is full of humor by mentioning about Ann Lee who understood her better than herself. Her Golden Globe Acceptance Speech is very also remarkable. British English is so elegant! I have to say that.

I like all the performance except for one, Colonel Brandon. The actor Alan Rickman looks too old, which is still okay. But the way that he was trying to pull a long face all the time to show his bitterness, definitely makes me feel unreal. As a Colonel, I was expecting him to be cooler. Well, without doubt, Edward Ferrars staring by Hugh Grant is my favorite. As always, I liked his British gentleman scrupulousness, so cute. When I watched deleted scenes, he was trying to kiss Elinor, he said “could you...?" instead of "may I...?" adorable!

It's a happy ending as always: since then, prince and princess live happily forever.

No comments: