Friday, December 02, 2005

Little Y

Mars came to ask me why I scolded that little girl, Y. I said I didn't scold her but teach her how to behave. Mike's daughter came to my office with one jar of yogurt. When I asked her whether it's hers, she didn't answer my question. Then I knew that she got it from the refrigerator in the public break room without anyone's permission. I told her "Hey, Y, if it is not yours, please put it back." She was kind of scared me at the first time because I'm always very nice to her. She didn't say anything after she came back to my office later; I looked at her and decided to talk to her as adult to adult, although I knew she's only 5 years old.

Two weeks ago, she got some chocolates and told me she got them from the school. I was kind of suspected but didn't check with her carefully because I was busy at that moment. Later, her dad came to tell me that she took all the chocolates from one of my colleagues without any permission. I was kind of sad with her lying. Something reminded me of my childhood and I realized that it's time for this little girl to learn something about honesty.

I still remembered once when I was very young, my dad was preparing for the dinner in the kitchen, I wanted to go out to play with my buddy. I was kind of scared that he would not let me go out so I tried to sneak out the house. Unfortunately, Dad saw my sneak and stopped me before I was out. I was so embarrassed and dismayed. To my surprised, Dad didn't scold me at all at that moment. He asked me why I need sneak out instead of WALK out. I told him that he might not allow me to do that because I had not finished my homework yet. Dad said "I'm glad that you know what the priority is. If you feel guilty, you should finish your homework first next time. But I also want to you that even if you haven't finished your homework, and when you want to play with you friends, you don't need to sneak out the house. Just tell Dad the truth, you're good to go. I don't like your sneaky way. Be an honest one. “I was very embarrassed at that time. Later after that, I realized that is an important lesson to me-- to be honest.

Y was not happy with my words at the first, I knew it. But she still stayed with me silently in the room. I decided to put my things aside and talk to her again. She was almost crying at that time, but she did agree with me at last and started to smile. She didn't know something I didn't tell her is more serious than what she did. We had food missing for a while and if someone in charged knows what she did, her dad must be in trouble. You never know what the consequences for your behaviors, sometimes it could be beyond your imagination and unbearable.

Sometimes, it’s just a little piece of moment that we learn about the big philosophy, isn’t it? I do appreciate my dad to stop me that day. It was embarrassed but I learn from that. Nobody is perfect but at least we're learning. I wish little Y would realize it one day.

No comments: